Haynes Radio, Ltd., Queensway, Enfield, Middlesex 
? Confirm : Brummy (etc) sets were AP models with an additional convertor ?
|Haynes 1922 Superhet|
The company were involved with radio in the 1920s, producing a superhet radio
as early as 1922. As well as supplying dealers with complete radios they also
supplied seperate units to amateurs. The products were aimed at the high quality
end of the market with their mid-30's radios and amplifier chassis often utilising
a "duophase" push pull amplifier design using PX4s and PX25s.
Both before and after the war Haynes were also in the buisness of manufacturing scanning and focus coils, E.H.T. transformers and, in fact, any other type of wound component.
|Dual timebase chassis (left) plus E.H.T. chassis (right),
both from Haynes' 1936/37 catalogue.
Haynes involvement with wound components, plus their products being aimed at the more expensive side of the market, made them a natural to enter the television field. Just as they sold seperate chassis for raios, their 1936/7 catalogue illustrates several television chassis, as illustrated above.
The radio chassis' that were made available to amatuers were also used in Haynes own range of radio receivers. Thus, when Haynes produced their first complete television - the Viceiver - it is probable that this too utilised similar chassis'. The Viceievr is featured in the company's 1937/8 brochure and was also publicised in several magazines in the latter half of 1937, however the television did not enter production until well into 1938. Very few of these sets were produced as by early 1939 Haynes were already begining to concentrate on components for the military.
Haynes marketed a single television in 1937 plus further televisions between 1948 and 1951. Unusually for the early post-war period they marketed sets with 14" screens; at the time, 9", 10", 12" and some 15" tubes were available and at first I thought maybe the 14"tubes were imported from America, however they were in fact E.M.I. CRT's. EMI CRTs would normally be expected to turn up in HMV and Marconiphone sets and in fact were used in two pre-war sets (the HMV models 1802 and 1850) which were released in August 1939 but may never have entered production due to the outbreak of war. The 14" Haynes models were thus using these pre-war CRT's.
Haynes contemplated production of their own CRT's but after encountering problems (primarilly to do with the screen itself) the project was abandoned.
They seemed to have got their marketting strategy a bit mixed up - on the one hand they were pitching themselves as component suppliers to home constructors whilst similtaneously producing an up-market almost £200 console model complete with push-pull PX4 audio output! In addition they offered a complete chassis-only product - which already cost significantly more than a complete mid-range reiever from most of the main manufacturers.
E.H.T. Unit from 1949
In March 1949 they marketed the model 828 R.F. E.H.T. unit. Costing £5 8s it used three valves, including a 6V6, EHT rectifier and possibly an EF50 to generate an output of between 5KV and 8KV. This was at the time that by far the majority of manufacturers were deriving E.H.T. using the line flyback method.
Many small manufacturers jumped on the TV market at the start of the 50's only to cease trading within a few years. However Haynes were already well established and, whilst they put a lot of effort into the design of televisions, it only accounted to for a relatively small part of their buisiness.were still only one arm of the buisiness. So when, like many manufacturers, they left the TV market in 1951/2 they were still major manufacturers of wound components and thus is one of the few companies to survive into the 1980s. Indeed they manufacturered many of teh wound components used in the television kits that were popular in the early 1950's.
It appears that Haynes pulled out of the television market in mid/late 1951 the company had returned to the manufacture of EHT supplies and line output transformers, small adverts for which can be found hiding in the back pages of Practical Television magazine. However, unlike many of teh small television manufactures that came and went at the start of the 50's, Haynes were already well established in the manufacture of wound components and unlike may of the other smaller TV manufacturers survive .........
Haynes relocated to Devon in the 1970's and remained in buisness into the 1980's when it finally sold to Standard Telephones when the owner finally retired.
|1938||Viceiver||C||12"||S/Het||Included both a radio (MW and LW only - no SW) and a gramaphone in seperate
units. Apparently also available without the radio and gramaphone units.
Options of 6W or 14W of audio output.
The Viceiver was marketted by the company in 1937 and the set appeared in their 1937/1938 catalogue. However it didn't enter production until early/mid 1938. Very few sets were sold and by 1939 the company were concentrating on manufacturing for the ?War Office? well before the breakout of World War 2. When war broke out there were a number of cabinets left, which were put into storage for the duration only to suffer such deteriation that they ended up being dumped after the war.
|Shown at the 1947 Radiolympia.||
|TRF||AC. A panel could be slid out and down from the top of the cabinet to cover the CRT when the set wasn't in use.||
|1ch (L)||Included a radio with push-pull output (pair of PX4's no less!)||
Notes : Regarding the HR88, a pamphlet entitled "Television Circuits" produced by Haynes Radio illustrates the model 88 with associated text reading "Other cabinet designs using a pair of side-mounted loud speakers are more compact and have neither side extensions or table.". It is probable that this is a reference to the cheaper model 112 and possibly 120.
Note the large "box" above the CRT - this is probably one of Haynes' own R.F. type E.H.T. generators.
The chassis utilised permanent magnet focussing but unusually there was no associated manual focus lever. In the above right-hand chassis picture you can just see a vertical object to the left of teh loudspeaker - this was the tool that would be used to adjust the focus.
In the left hand picture, just above the center of the screen is a little dot. This is a red lamp that illuminated when there was no signal, intended to alert the owner that the set was still switched on.
|It is just possible to read the CRT type - a Brimar C12 (B).|
|Advert from late 1953|
Link to price list from sales brochure,
circa 1950 [29K]
Includes price list and details of some sets.
Circuit or pre-war timbase and CRT supply.
Link to larger view [77K]
|References :|| "Television Circuits" published by Haynes Radio
Wireless World, October 1947
Wireless & Electrical Trader, 2nd October 1948
Wireless & Electrical Trader, 19th March 1949
HERE TO RETURN TO
THE MANUFACTURERS PAGE
|Page copyright © J.Evans 2005 - Last updated 11th September 2006|